Unless you are one of the very fortunate church planters to be gifted a venue right from the beginning, the seemingly ongoing hunt for a suitable venue can be one of the biggest struggles for the growing little (or not so little) church plant. It seems to be a black hole of time and energy that sucks you in and makes it hard to get on with what you’re there to do – tell people about Jesus.
We’ve looked at schools, bars, government offices, foyers, schools, community halls, libraries, restaurants, schools, tramping clubs, sailing clubs, bridge clubs, yoga clubs, schools, warehouses, commercial offices, university campuses, technical colleges, schools, drama academies, dance studios, gyms, a marae and did I mention schools? We’ve even looked at other churches to try and find something that will work.
And here is why it is such a challenge. At the moment here is what we are looking for:
- A meeting space which won’t seem empty with 50 people but would have room for us to grow up to 150 people.
- Three spaces that are suitable for kids ministry (preferrable not filled with things that are precious or fragile).
- Within walking distance of the city/student accomodation.
- Good access from the street with some parking avaliable within a few hundred metres of the venue.
- The ability to have the space for at least 48 Sundays a year.
- Onsite lockable storage.
- The ability to serve coffee, tea and food.
- A medium term commitment (18 – 24 months).
- Affordable for a small church.
It seems that spaces like this are as rare as a still day in Wellington.
So, next time you’re complaining that your church building is too old or too daggy or too cold or too hot or too Anglican or not Anglican enough or that the parking is bad or that the there are no decent cafes near by or that it has a crazy weird light hanging in the middle of it… spare a thought and a prayer for your church planting brothers and sisters. We would most likely love to meet where you are!
And if you happen to have a place in central Wellington that meets the above requirements… well, I’m your new best friend! Can I buy you a coffee / beer / burger and let’s make it happen?