Our current church (St Luke’s Miranda) has spend the last two Sundays thinking about Global Missions. It was a great time for us as a church to think about how we can all be involved in what God is doing in the world as he draws lost people back to himself through Jesus. I was given the opportunity to preach on 1 Thessalonians 1 where we see a model church. This is a church where the gospel has gone in and transformed their lives and now it rings out so much so that their faith is known everywhere. It was good to be reminded that mission begins with the gospel doing its work on our own hearts and from there flows out through our lives and our words.
It was also the first significant opportunity for us to share with our church the plans God has for us in 2014. We were able to talk about the journey we have been on to get to this point and then outline the next steps we need to take to plant a church in Wellington. We felt very cared for by our church as they partner with us in the gospel through church planting in New Zealand.
At the moment we are giving God great thanks for what he has done and is doing in getting us to Wellington.
- Up until last week we were contemplating a stint of homelessness with no where to live between January and April 2014, but God has generously provided an option that will keep us off the streets.
- A number of people have generously offered to support us in prayer and finances (although we still need many more!)
- There are a bunch of uni students thinking of doing an exchange to Vic Uni in Wellington in order to help out the launch team.
- We have been having ongoing conversations with families who are seriously considering moving across with us.
- Four link churches in Australia and two in New Zealand who are keen to support Wellington Evangelical Church.
Please keep praying for us and for our plans.
- Pray God will sustain us with the usual workload at St Luke’s plus planning for 2014.
- Pray for Adele and the pregnancy. Pray that in December we will be able to welcome this little boy into our family.
- Pray for those thinking about joining us that God will give them courage, trust in God and wisdom.
- Pray for the churches in Wellington that they might continue to boldly preach Jesus.
- Pray for anyone in Wellington still affected by the earthquakes.
- Pray for the gathering of a launch team to help get things up and running. Pray the team will be united in the gospel and the desire to share Jesus with Wellington.
Finally, if you are in a position to consider financially partnering with Wellington Evangelical, please let us know. Over the next nine months we are needing to raise about $120,000 NZD ($105,000 AUD) to help fund the first year. It is a big ask but we are confident that God will geneoursly provide through the gifts of his people.